Travelling abroad

Car breakdown

Having your car break down on you can put a dampener on things, especially abroad. Which is why Alphabet automatically includes a roadside assistance/car breakdown formula for all lease cars, called Alphabet Assistance. Whether you are dealing with a mechanical defect or an accident, our roadside assistance immediately springs into action to ensure you to continue to remain mobile. 

The Driver Info Card in your documentation pouch provides an overview of all the covers. Together with VAB, Alphabet will make every effort to help you as quickly as possible. 

You can reach Alphabet Assistance 24/7 at +32 (0) 78 15 05 35. Along the motorways in France, you are required to use the orange emergency roadside telephones.


Motoring abroad vehicle permit

If you want to travel with your lease car to:

  • a country within the Schengen Area: request a certificate via
  • a country outside of the Schengen Area (Andorra, Azerbaijan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Morocco, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, Macedonia (F.Y.R.O.M.), Turkey., …): request a certificate via and a mandatory additional certificate via (costs at your own expense). Without this document, Alphabet Belgium does not authorize you to enter these countries.

Attention! It is forbidden to travel by car to war zones or one of the following countries:

Albania, Israel, Iran, Moldavia, Russia, Belarus, Georgia, Kosovo, …


What about my passengers?

Your lease contract includes travel assistance for all problems that occur when using your car in Belgium and abroad. Cases not related to the use of your lease car are not covered. 

Our partner VAB enables you to take out supplementary coverage to give you and your passengers full protection. For further information, please contact VAB directly. 


Final check before departure

Are you planning a long car journey? Be sure to check:

  • the brake fluid and the cooling liquid
  • the oil level
  • tire pressure and the general condition of your car.
  • all required vehicle documents on board, including your driving licence, a valid insurance certificate, the vehicle registration certificate, the certificate of conformity and a European accident report form.

This will help you avoid breaking down on the road or incurring repairs abroad.